Monday, November 28, 2011

12 Days of Christmas- MUSIC THERAPY IDEA 2

Well Hello. Here is my tree to set the mood. SO, while I was treating one of my clients this afternoon, we decided to sing the "12 Days of Christmas" and I started laughing to myself because it reminded me of a time when I went to a Christmas Party (of a fellow music therapist).  The guitar was brought out and the whole party of friends got together in a circle and we made up our own version of the "12 Days of Christmas".  It was hilarious and of course it was wildly inappropriate but totally fun.  I was thinking that it would be great to try with clients either in group sessions or individually and of course in an appropriate manner.
The goals for this activity could be: 
  • Counting
  •  memory recall
  •  creative expression, etc...
The What and How:

  • Rewrite the lyrics to the song using 12 items of the client's choice.  
  • Clients may draw or write items as a visual aid
  • Clients may practice memory skills by naming items.
  • As you sing each verse, count up to the number you are singing about using a drum.

This song could even be used during non holiday times...or during ALL holiday times by changing the words... For example, On the first day of Valentine's day, my true love gave to me....blah blah blah.
Have fun with this one. Don't worry if nothing rhymes. It's no big deal. 

Here is my version just for fun and also as a wish list (hint hint)On the first day of Christmas my true love gave to me...
  1. One gorgeous polka dot dress.
  2. Two sparkling silver high heels
  3. Three bottles of bitters
  4. Four camera lenses
  5. FIVE PAIRS OF BOOTS!!!
  6. Six new guitars
  7. Seven sets of dishes
  8. Eight waffle irons
  9. Nine brand new cookbooks (seriously)
  10. Ten expensive perfumes
  11. Eleven yards of fabric
  12. Twelve new kitchen backsplashes

PS- WANT TO DOWNLOAD A COOL CHRISTMAS ALBUM?  Go to Amazon for the latest She & Him album. The very lovely Zooey and of course very hip M. Ward have done it again. oh and it's only 5 bucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment